Knowledge Assessment - Quick Facts
- Available since July 01, 2019
- Not limited to housing counselors
- Results are designed to help counselors focus their studies
- Completion of the Knowledge Assessment does not guarantee certification
To further assist counselors in preparing for the HUD Housing Counselor certification exam, the HUD Office of Housing Counseling (OHC) has launched a new, free HUD Certified Housing Counselor Knowledge Assessment.
The Knowledge Assessment does not replace or replicate the existing practice exam in style, format, or length, but does:
- Provide candidates with more detailed feedback
- Offer insight into the rationale behind correct and incorrect answers
- Recommend topics for further study
- Link questions to training content
- Help candidates identify areas of strength and weakness for continued study
Unlike the HUD Housing Counselors Certification Exam, the Knowledge Assessment poses questions at three levels of difficulty. By reviewing the results of this type of test, learners can assess their knowledge and focus their studies where there may be knowledge gaps. Within each level of difficulty, performance on questions answered correctly determines the feedback provided.
There is no cost for the Knowledge Assessment, and you are not required to be a housing counselor or be employed by a housing counseling agency to take it.