Certification Exam - Quick Facts
- Available since August 1, 2017
- Not limited to housing counselors
- Available online and at testing centers nationwide
- Exam fee required
- Consists of 90 questions with a two-hour time limit
- Certification requires to both pass exam and work for an agency approved to participate in HUD’s housing counseling program
To prepare for the Certification Exam, candidates can access training materials, choosing from study methods including an interactive online training course and a downloadable Study Guide, and take a practice exam. The testing methodology for the Certification Exam will include options to take the exam online or in person. Both options will be proctored.
HUD published the Final Rule for Housing Counseling Certification in the Federal Register on December 14, 2016, revising the regulations governing HUD’s Housing Counseling Program, 24 C.F.R. Part 214. This rule implements statutory requirements that housing counseling required under or provided in connection with all HUD programs will be provided by HUD-Certified Housing Counselors.
Read HUD's Press Release announcing the New Housing Counseling Certification Requirements or refer to the HUD Exchange for more information about the final rule and certification requirements.